29 December 2010

Mogwai Marsh

The fog got the better of a day tramping upsy-downsy-alongsy-estuary so the morning was wasted with a couple of semi-successful attempts at locating trees where Waxwings formerly were, plus stops at Magor and Redwick. Basically, 'bugger all' was recorded (with ease) at all sites visited; just 2-3 Chiffchaffs and a couple of Cetti's Warblers at Magor merited a scribble on the inside of the cover of a (now defunct) road atlas. [NB. I appear to have got out of the habit of carrying my notebook; no need to write in, yes, I agree a birder lacking a notebook is about as much use as a chocolate teapot/kettle/fireguard/anything which, due to its habitual placement in close proximity to high temperatures, would be ineffectual if manufactured by combining sugar, cocoa butter, milk powder, cocoa mass/solids, whey powder, etc., etc.]

I did have a wee digital camera thingy with me though, which was lucky as I seem to have found a new mammal species for Gwent,...

Surely not the droppings of Talpa europaea?!

No comments: