13 September 2011

The only living boy in Newport

I get the news I need on the weather report

Must remember to up the volume on the iPod when using it as an alarm clock. Three Weetabix, glass of orange, no time for tea.

Oh, I can gather all the news I need on the weather report

Out into the low angled, unruly sun to join the ranks of golden flanked traffic and a delicious drive through the rush in a caffeine free, sleep starved, not-in-a-hurry-to-get-anywhere fuzz.

Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile

Met at Goldcliff by the last few eddies caused by Katia's passing and a wandering, collarless retriever; neither promised too much in the way of seabirds but I was on autopilot and soon lining up on the nuthouse-cum-naval academy.

Do-n-doh do-n-doh do-doh and here I am

An hour, a Great Crested Grebe and the first in a series of sharp downpours later and I start wondering about waders at the pools. But, before I could muster the gumption for a Buff-breast hunt, a trickle offshore provided just enough entertainment to ensure my inertia. One each of Manxie, 'auk sp.' and Gannet, and a handful of Arctic Terns would probably have been enough to maintain my spine-eroding embrace of tripod and scope, so a (the?) juvenile/1st-winter Little Gull was just the dinky little toy, on the icing, on the big, brown wobbly cake.

The only living boy in Newport

And then I had to head off and do some 'work',... 'work',... I think that's the correct spelling.

Apparently a local escapee,... no bugger appeared to be looking for him mind.

PS. There was also a Wheatear in the garden of the pink house and a trickle of Skylark, Swallows, pipits and wagtails overhead.

No comments: